Donnerstag, 3. September 2009

Raindrops keep falling on my head...

My first day here in Sweden where it's been raining buckets since early in the morning.
I still managed to run around the lake though, it can get a bit claustrophobic staying in your room all day when all you did the 10 days before was running around like crazy, meeting lots of people, drinking beer and so on.

Well, I'm still drinking beer for that matter...

So, let's just try to reaccount what I've been up to:

The first few days, we spent most of our daytime managing to get comfortable with our apartment room.
We hardly had any kitchen hardware when we arrived,
two spoons, knives, forks and plates - that's all about it. :)


drying some dishes with my boxer-short :)

In order to prepare some food, we had to buy all the hardware somewhere in town.
Luckily, my buddy helped us a lot with that, she showed us around town and told us how to get to IKEA, which is like an hour drive from Växjö.

What we didn't know, there's this starter-set at IKEA for some cheap ass 90€ with all the kitchen utilities you need to get started, like pots and a pan, a measuring cup...
Well, we actually went to a super-market the day before, bought half of the stuff we would need, went to IKEA the day after and cried out loud when we actually saw the starter-kit box. So instead of a 100€ in total, we paid like almost double the price.

So, remember kids: If you ever have the balls moving out of your beloved hotel mama, get yourself one of those!

Everything else at IKEA is pretty much the same. The hot-dogs are half the price and in general, the food-store has a lot less to offer, but you'll still get your Swedish-furniture experience, no doubt about that.

The evenings so far, we spent going out most of the time, we checked the pubs located on campus, we went to the cinema watching 'inglorious basterds', we had like three birthdays to celebrate so there was no way of not having fun.

In total, there are like 430 exchange students from all around the world. The people from Germany are by far the largest group with almost a quarter of all exchange students.
So it's quite a big family and most of exchange people live on the same spot here on campus.

Campus life has been really impressive so far. There's so much nature to experience barely a footstep away from your front porch.
There are about 15 lakes in the immediate vicinity, a horse ranch and a small swedish castle right beside my apartment complex and campus in general has lots and lots of green areas to hang out and do some picnic.

Most people living here are no older than 32 years, but even older people I've met so far tend to be more relaxed in general.
I also guess it's no problem having pets here on campus because it seems like 3 out of 10 persons have at least a dog or a cat for an animal in their apartment.

Anyway, my 'student-obligations' so far consisted (only) of a two day introduction to Växjö University and two courses starting this week. Due to overlapping schedules, I had to drop one of the courses though, so I guess I'll have some more free time over the course of the next few weeks. :)



Introduction days for all exchange students


Växjö police chief


Okay, that's all for now... I'll just add a few more pictures.

I'll see you guys,
bye!




My roomy André



our room


bathroom


kitchen

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen